Sunday, June 22, 2008

Op-Ed Columnist - The Two Obamas - Op-Ed - NYTimes.com

Sometimes, when we fall in love with a politician, we tend to overlook their faults and pay more attention to what we like about them. It makes sense...when we pick a politician to believe in, if that ever happens anymore, we are investing a bit of our identity in that person. We are taking an action which fundamentally puts to test our ability to make character judgments, to see through the bull shit...But, as it turns out, most people suck at this. Bush, after-all, did have two terms didn't he?

I'm a supporter of Obama. He's the first politician who I've ever donated money to... the only one whose speeches I have watched, completely entranced. I'll admit that I fundamentally believe in the guy. But lately, I've noticed myself doing something that I don't like... When I see a headline pop up on Google News which doesn't seem to be postitive towards Obama, I don't click it. If I do, it's with great hesitance. Why? Well, I've made an investment. A character judgement. And to be wrong, sucks.

Anyways, that's a long way of saying, I'm going to try my best to listen to both the positives and the negatives and evaluate them both. Here's an article which takes a look at what Obama says versus the way he operates which I think does a good job of showing both sides. Fair and balanced... ;)

Op-Ed Columnist - The Two Obamas - Op-Ed - NYTimes.com

No comments: